- You can
participate anytime, as often as you like. The online course
is "asynchronous," which means participants can
ask questions and make comments anytime, day or night. The
instructor will log onto the course 4-6 times a day and answer
questions and make comments.
- You only need Real Audio. The only special software you need is RealPlayer
7 basic or higher, which will allow you to listen to the lectures.
The software is free and can be downloaded from www.realaudio.com.
- Any computer, any location. You can use any computer you want to participate
in the course. Learn from work, from home, a colleague’s computer,
or any combination.
About an hour a day. We suggest you spend about an hour a day participating
in the online course.
- No technical skills necessary. You don’t need any technical skill or knowledge
to participate. You need to be able to get on the Internet,
have a browser like Netscape or Microsoft Explorer. And you
or a friend should download Real Audio for you. That’s it.
what you do to participate in the online course:
- Read the chapter for the day. Each day we will cover 1-2 topics
from the book "Building Learning Communities in Cyberspace:
Effective Strategies for the Online Classroom, by Rena M. Palloff
and Keith Pratt..
- Listen to the lecture. There will be a 15 minute lecture,
with slides, for each of the 5 days. Listen to the lecture anytime
- Ask the instructor questions. Next you will go into a Discussion
Forum, or chat room, where you can ask the instructor questions
and make comments yourself. Then check back in a couple of hours,
or less, to get the answer to your question or see what others
are saying. The instructor will be here 4-6 times a day to write
comments here and answer the questions.
- Discuss with your colleagues. There is a second Discussion
Forum, or chat room, where you and your fellow participants
can make written comments and talk about anything you want.
You’ll love networking with other teachers.